Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hardest Job I've Ever Had!

The most difficult job I have ever had would be that of a mother! WOW! The Devil has tempted me so over the last week. Jake and Zach have done so many minor things over the last few days to test me that today was the "straw that broke the camel's back". To begin with, the boys were not listening to me and avoiding getting ready to leave for church. It did not help that their dad was outside cleaning cars (more fun than mom!) and our neighbor was also outside playing! So, I made them jump in the van and head to Sunday School....which led to a rough morning! Jake proceeded to threaten me with his BB gun, call the police on the other boys in the class, etc. Amanda, my ever-so-patient co-teacher, asked Jake if he woke up on the wrong side of the bed and he spat "No! I just wanted to stay home!" AND our lesson today was "Love your neighbor as yourself!" Romans 13:9 Alot of teachable moments today in class! LOL

So, we come home and the boys continue on with their dad and eventually spent time playing with Ally, our neighbor. When I returned from church this evening, I had had it! Jake would not come home from next door. Zach was yelling at me that he was going to stay at Ally's all night. The house was a wreck! (I had it spotless yesterday!) Dinner dishes were everywhere...but in the dishwasher! And it was already 8:45 pm! ENOUGH!

Needless to say, Mommy Dearest came out. I was carrying one screaming child across the yard and thankfully, no one called the Hartwell PD because I promise I did not harm him! Once inside, Jake yelled at me about hurting his brother and then KICKED me! Oh no you didn't! So I sat Jake down and popped him on his leg! Of course, I had to leave and cry in my room!

After I had collected myself, I called a "family meeting". TV was cut off, lights on, and all attention to the speaker (which by the way was primarily me!). Zach was not sure exactly what was going on and not really paying attention to everything I said. But Jake was there and understood completely what was discussed. Rules were set forth...do something the first time it is asked; if not, 5 minutes of time out and spanking on the third strike. No fun activities, ie pool, playdates, library, playing with Ally, etc. until all chores are done daily. I even explained to Jake about his comments earlier in church and how on the streets people are arrested for threatening to shoot someone. Of course, I ended with scripture to honor your mother and your father as well as I do all this for love! Jake came and gave me a hug and told me he loved me afterwards! That was worth it all!

So, tonight I have been praying and reading God's word to help me through this tough job...you know, the most important job you will ever have comes with no training and little instruction! The following verse really helped me understand why talking the boys tonight was necessary!

Proverbs 29:17 Discipline your son, and he will give you peace;
he will bring delight to your soul.


Blessings to you all!
Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment